Dear Ai - Good advice for ESL Students. Do you have a question about learning English? Why not ask "Dear Ai"? <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 12, 2006

My parents stopped sending money... 

Related Link:

“Dear Ai,
I have been getting a financial support from my parents during my stay in Canada. Recently, my parents found out that I’m dating a Canadian boyfriend and as soon as they found out about us, they stop sending money to me. I do not want to go back to my country, but my money will be running out soon. We are dating seriously, but there is no near towards marriage. What should I do? Keiko from Japan


“Hi Keiko,
Thank you for your e-mail. It is common that international students have some romance either with other international students or local Canadian people. Sometimes their parents in their country haven’t had enough information to judge the person and won’t allow them to date different nationalities.

It sounds like you haven’t told your parents about your boyfriend at all. Probably they felt they were deceived and that you were using their money for fun. I am not sure what you told them before you left Japan or the reason you came to Canada. However, most of my students came here to study hard in order to speak English fluently. They also enjoy their lives here in Canada. You need to sit down and think about your purpose for being here.

Go back to Japan since you don’t have any money to support yourself. As long as you are using your parents’ money, you cannot really decide what you want to do. You can start working and saving money to come back to Canada. Meanwhile, you can help your parents understand about your boyfriend. It might take longer for them to accept new ideas and culture. A long distance relationship will be challenging for you and your boyfriend, but if this is “the man” for you, he will step up to the plate.

Write to "Dear Ai" at aiuchiyama@hotmail.com
|

Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>


© 2005 Ai Uchiyama

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com