Dear Ai - Good advice for ESL Students. Do you have a question about learning English? Why not ask "Dear Ai"? <$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 20, 2006

I am lonely here and I am homesick of Canada... 

Related Link:

“Dear Ai,
I recently moved back to Mexico after spending time in Canada for two years. I’ve had a hard time adjusting to the culture since I moved back. Before I left Mexico, I didn’t feel adequate living here and now I do. I miss Canada so much and I feel awkward living in Mexico. Most of my friends have never left the country. They value their life by purchasing fancy cars and getting a better salary. I used to enjoy hanging out with them, but now I am focusing on different things. I am no longer happy spending time with them. I am lonely here and I am homesick of Canada.” Juanita – Mexico

“Hi Juanita,
It is very natural that you miss Canada after living here such a long time. Especially since you didn’t leave here voluntarily.

When you came to Canada for the first time, you probably missed your family, friends and culture in Mexico. You might have visited a local Mexican restaurant to satisfy your homesickness. But gradually you feel less homesick, soon after you find yourself molded into the Canadian culture. You accepted their values in order to survive here. You might not have noticed this change when you were in Canada, but now you feel the differences between you and your friends. Your new values and perspectives of the world had been widened and because of that you feel distance among your crowds.

It is hard to get away from a comfort zone. I encourage students not to be afraid of change and accept it as a part of the process (to be better or to have a better life etc…). Once you give up fighting, your life will be easier. People change anytime, anywhere and change will progress you to the next level. It doesn’t matter if they leave their country or not. Cry about Canada for a few hours and move on with your life. You may feel your life is wasted by not being in Canada, but Canada won’t run away!! When the right time comes, you will be here again. Until then, you treat each and every day as precious time. Time will cure the homesickness.

If you feel uncomfortable hanging out with your old friends, then find new ones who love to spend time with you. You can explore your city like a tourist. Send me a postcard from all the different places you go in your city. You haven’t been there for two years! It must have changed something.

Another thing I would like to mention here is that you might be afraid of being old you – the person you were before you came to Canada. Do not worry. You are not the same person and everyday through experiences you become a new person. Good luck with exploring the new Juanita!

Write to "Dear Ai" at aiuchiyama@hotmail.com
|

Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>


© 2005 Ai Uchiyama

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com