Dear Ai - Good advice for ESL Students. Do you have a question about learning English? Why not ask "Dear Ai"? <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 15, 2007

Which books are you reading lately? 

Related Link:

"Dear Ai,
Which books are you reading lately? I was asked this question in a job interview last week. I couldn’t answer that question because I don’t read books. Can you recommend books for me?" Brian– Taiwan



"Hi Brian, thank you for your e-mail. I am taking a business class right now and my teacher told us in the class, “There is famous a saying about our health. You are what you eat. It also applies to reading. We are what we read.” Reading is very important to our lives to improve our knowledge and it helps us to learn from other people’s experience. The reason why the interviewer asked you about a recent book you read is that they would like to know if your knowledge is up to date. They also want to see what your attitude is like to learn new things. Companies are looking for the best employees possible.

I love reading. I sometimes read three or four books at the same time. I mostly like fiction novels, business books and success stories. Right now, I am reading "Rich Woman" written by Kim Kiyosaki. Her husband, Robert Kiyosaki, wrote a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". This book had changed the idea of becoming rich completely. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" does not tell you how-to-become-rich-quickly. It teaches you how to think like rich people, using his "rich dad" and "poor dad" as an example. On the other hand, Kim focuses more on the female point of view of becoming rich. Women tend to use many excuses like "I don’t have enough time", "I am not smart enough", "I have a husband to rely upon"...etc when it comes to money. Kim shows how dangerous this attitude is to survive in this century and women need to realize "financial independency" will give them a choice for their lives. Both of them are excellent books to improve your thinking.

If you are not into money or business books, that’s fine. You can visit Amazon.ca or the Best Sellers section on the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html) to see what are the latest popular books. Good luck!"

Labels:


Write to "Dear Ai" at aiuchiyama@hotmail.com
|

Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>


© 2005 Ai Uchiyama

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com