Dear Ai - Good advice for ESL Students. Do you have a question about learning English? Why not ask "Dear Ai"? <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I would like to read books written by Canadian authors... 

Related Link:

"Dear Ai, I'm studying for IELTS right now. My reading skill is quite bad and I want to improve the skills as quickly as possible. My teacher told me I should read more books. I read many books when I was in Korea, but I don't know which English books are worth reading. I also would like to read books written by Canadian authors. Do you have any recommendations?" Kenny – South Korea

"Hi Kenny, thank you for your e-mail. I am happy to hear that you are interested in reading Canadian books! You need to be patient with yourself because reading skills do not improve dramatically. As your teacher said, I recommend you to read as many books as possible. Also read a variety of books (Science Fiction, Novels, Mystery…etc) and different reading materials (Newspaper, Magazine, Cooking books). You will be surprised to see how much vocabulary you can build. Have fun reading!!"

Excellent Canadian Authors
Atwood, Margaret – “The Edible Woman”
Cohen, Leonard – “Beautiful Losers”, “Suzanne”
Coupland, Douglas – “Girlfriend in a Coma”, “Hey Nostradamus!”
Davies, Robertson
Findley, Timothy
Montgomery, Lucy Maude – “Anne of Green Gables”
Munro, AliceOndaatje, Michael – “The English Patient”

Canadian Magazines
Canadian Geographic
Macleans (http://www.macleans.ca/)
Geist (http://www.geist.com/)
Walrus (http://www.walrusmagazine.com/)


Labels:


Write to "Dear Ai" at aiuchiyama@hotmail.com
|

Comments:
Hi Kenny and Ai:

I would also like to recommend three books that are not only written by a Canadian author but are used in recommended reading programs in Alberta, for students 10-17. I'm not sure how old you are, but I believe you will enjoy these books, plus you'll find the reading level fairly easy to understand.

The novels are:
Whale Song - ISBN 1601640072
Divine Intervention - ISBN 1412035910
The River - ISBN 1412062292

The author is me. :) Cheryl Kaye Tardif

The ISBN information is what you need to order them. All three are available on Amazon or you can ask your bookstore to order them for you.

Keep reading!! Don't give up! It is so very important in life.

~Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com
 
Post a Comment
links to this post

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>


© 2005 Ai Uchiyama

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com